Interview with Guillaume Boesel (ENG)

Software e hardware per OS4.x

Interview with Guillaume Boesel (ENG)

Messaggioda samo79 » mar apr 23, 2013 7:26 pm

As we mentioned few days ago, Iksnet is pleased to present an exclusive interview with the french developer Guillaume 'zzd10h' Boesel.
The interview was conducted via e-mail while Guillaume was traveling to the sunny city of Naples!

The interview is available in both Italian and English, have a nice read !

samo79 -> Hello Guillaume, first of all thanks for giving us this interview!
Tell us a little about you, when did your passion for Amiga start and especially when you started programming ?

zzd10h -> Hello, Samir,

firstly, I'm very proud to be interviewed.

mylife.fr :

I'm 37 year old, I'm living in a very little town of about 400 peoples in the center of France (near Orleans).
I'm working for a big company as z/OS system administrator (aka MVS, an older Operating System than AmigaOS ! )
At home we had an Amiga500 when I was young, my brother and me used it exclusively to play. But we switched to Intel platform around 1994 and never reused an Amiga...

Until 2011, where a nostalgeek feeling made me buy a used A1200 and Amiga was restarted for me !

Amigans one day, Amigans always!

Because I wanted to use AmigaOS exclusively as my main system, I quickly felt that Classic was too much limited. Therefore, I bought a MacMini for MorphOS, but I was too much curious about AmigaOS4 that I found on Amibay a Pegasos2 with both OS.

And finally an X1000 because I like AmigaOS4...

I started programming for AmigaOS when I had a Pegasos2 (at the beginning of 2012) because I wanted to watch some videos on a french replay channel website.
As at work I use REXX langage on z/OS, I choosed naturally ARexx and rxMui for this first project (ReplayAOS+, based on rtmpdump and MPlayer).

http://gusingrannes.dyndns.org/zzd10h/ReplayAOS/

ARexx and rxMUI was a good introduction to AmigaOS and especially to MUI but as I was not able to make some systems functions that I needed, I began to learn Amiga C with SysMon during summer's holidays of 2012.

samo79 -> The French Amiga community, in spite of their individual choices seem very active, prepared and cohesive, for example developers like Fab, Corto, Alain Thellier, Huno and many others who are often very open and collaborative between the various souls of the Amiga world (AmigaOS4, MorphOS and AROS)
In the future do you think there will be room for a broader partnership, perhaps on shared software projects ?

zzd10h -> I have no idea about sharing projects, sorry.
But you are right, the french developers that you mention (without forget Glames, Crisot, Sinisrus, Abalaban and CentaurZ) are really good, it's a chance to have so much experimented guys. Very helpful by their advices for me !

samo79 -> For many, (up to no more than 6 or 7 months ago) you was almost an unknown name on the Amiga scene, however in this short period your name start to become highly respected among the scene thanks for the high quality of your releases, software like SysMon, FastCompress, FastView and others are installed on most OS4 machines today !
Before starting these projects did you already had an NG machine or the next generation world was a recent discovery for you ?

zzd10h -> I doubt that my softwares are so good that you say and if they are really so much appreciated or not, but I have to say that all the little functions, the cosmetics enhancements, etc, in short, all the things who make a software nice to use are suggestions from Amigans who help me during the build of my projects.
Of course, you Samo79, TommySammy and Sinirus (the two, especially for their nice icons), Phantom, Joeled, Javier, Lio and Niolator.

All these people are mentionned in my ReadMe.txt and About box but like few peoples read them... :ammicca:
NG systems were a very recent discovery when I started to develop. Programming is a really good way to begin to learn a system.
As I said before, I began to build tools that I missed relatively shortly after to have my first Amiga-NG.

My goal was to don't use anymore my iMac and to make all on Amiga. Therefore, when I miss a tool and that I think that I can develop it, I prefer to build it rather than to hope that someone will build it.
Because I wanted to have a system monitor auto-refreshed, I made SysMon or because I missed the facility to compress files by right mouse button, I build FastCompress, the same for FastView, but as you know, I make just littles tools not very difficult to do, I will not be able to make (or port) complex things.

samo79 -> What are the major difficulties you have encountered during the development of your projects ?

zzd10h -> Except, that I would like to have more time, I don't encounter some real difficulty, it's really nice that to much people on the various Amigans forums take on their time to respond to my questions (thank you Thore for your patience with my MUI noob based questions!).
What is nice, too, is that many functions were not modified since AmigaOS3, therefore the RKM are still really useful references, even better now that the AmigaOS wiki is online, it's more pratical than these old big black books :felice:

For what I do, I find that the documentation is good, of course I have to search for every new things that I want to do but for the moment all seems
to work. I forgot to say that CodeBench is a very nice IDE.
The most annoying thing for me is that during development, I have to reboot many many times because I encounter a lot of DSI or OS freezes, but, it's my own fault, I have to learn to make good code :felice:

samo79 -> - I know you're one of the few lucky to have just purchased an AmigaOne X1000, what do you think about this machine ?

zzd10h -> Right, I have one and I'm very happy with it. So much happy that I made a review on it in the issue 50 of the marvellous french Amiga newspapers, AmigaPower (sorry, what do you say ? It's a too much visible advice ?)
Yes, it's a very expensive computer regarding actual standards but for me it's not just an hobby computer, it's my main system comparing to my old Pegasos2 it's really faster. But it miss Overlay and native Warp3D.
I'm confident that drivers will be released one day, but for now, to bypass these lacks, I'm using a Radeon9250 for watching full-screen videos or to play Warp3D games.
And I'm dreaming that SMP will be available one day (yes, I have wrote "dreaming")...

samo79 -> Currently all your projects were released for AmigaOS4, in the near future do you have any plane for MorphOS or AROS ?

zzd10h -> Except, ReplayAOS+ (exclusively and eventually, useful for french peoples on MorphOS or AmigaOS4), I "work" only on AmigaOS4.
Few months ago, one Aros and one MorphOS guys asked me to port SysMon to their OS but when I began to look back to my code, I realized that I was using a lot of AmigaOS4-only functions in all SysMon's functions.

To much big work to rewrite it. And firstly, I write a program for me because I need it and secondarily to release it.
I'm really happy when I know that people use it and when I receive good feedbacks but I don't have the courage to rewrite them for an OS that I don't use.

I like AmigaOS4, therefore I want to concentrate my time on this OS.

samo79 -> Have you ever tried MorphOS or AROS ? And if so what are your opinion of them compared to your current reference system ?

zzd10h -> Yes, I have tried both.
Aros just a little bit, some years ago in a VM, but it was not very usable. I'm sure that it has improved a lot but I don't have time to try again.
MorphOS was my first AmigaNG OS on my MacMini because it was cheaper than AmigaOS4 capable computers.

I have to admit that it's more stable than AmigaOS4 and that the softwares are often better (especially thanks to the fantastic work of Fab) but I didn't have a too much good feeling with this system than with AmigaOS4.
As soon that I have had the Pegasos2 with dual OS, I have stopped to use MorphOS to use AmigaOS4, just a better feeling, irrational opinion.

samo79 -> - In your opinion, today among the many possible eventual new features what is the main feature you missing on AmigaOS ?
But if we want to extend the discussion, what is generally lacking the Amiga-like operating systems to make a real quantum leap ?

zzd10h -> I have never used personal computers to make office work, graphics or music. I use them just to play with the system, therefore I don't miss especially some killer-apps.

But to make a real quantum leap and to grab more "customers", sure, better web-browser and better multimedia tools will be needed I think.
Maybe one day Timberwolf will be really usable or MUI-OWB will be as good as MorphOS version and we will have a way to watch HD videos as full-screen even on RadeonHD cards...

Personally, what I would like to have is the memory protection between address spaces to avoid to freeze so often my system when I make program and optionaly to be able to safely kill tasks.

Not real important things, as I said before. For a geek use, AmigaOS4 is perfect, a lot of thing to do, to explore, a relatively good documentation and a nice "community".
AmigaOS is so much sufficient for me that I don't switch on my iMac except when I have to use the webcam on Skype.

samo79 -> Many people are certainly curious, do you have any other projects for the immediate future ?

zzd10h -> Not for the moment, I don't plan projects, I find what to do when I need something.

samo79 -> How do you see the Amiga world over the coming 5 years ?

zzd10h -> When I come back 1,5 year ago, I was suprised to see a so much active community. Even if we will be all 5 years older, I'm confident that in 5 years, the faith will be too strong.
Maybe more if Gallium3D, SMP and above all the "famous" OS4 Netbook are released.
On the other hand, I hope that PowerPC will continue to be build...

samo79 -> Thank you very much for taking your time, is there anything else you'd like to add ?

zzd10h You are welcome Samir, all the pleasure was for me.
I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the company (Hyperion, A-Eon and Acube) and Amigans who have never let die the Amiga (unlike me :felice:) and guy like you, Samir, who spend a lot of their time to betatest softwares, make translations and port softwares.

Cordialmente

Guillaume 'zzd10h' Boesel
Immagine

Moderatore sezioni Amiga/AmigaOne su
TGMOnline

WHEN IT'S DONE Immagine

Le mele a volte possono essere devastate dal colpo feroce di una tempesta, ma il tenero fascio del sole potrà sempre far sviluppare dei nuovi frutti

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz - 1 GB DDR Ram - Radeon 9250 - AmigaOS 4.1
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE - AmigaOS 4.1
samo79

Staff

Re: Interview with Guillaume Boesel (ENG)

Messaggioda kyakruu » sab gen 30, 2016 10:18 am

Personally, what I would like to have is the memory protection between address spaces to avoid to freeze so often my system when I make program and optionaly to be able to safely kill tasks.

Not real important things, as I said before. For a geek use, AmigaOS4 is perfect, a lot of thing to do, to explore, a relatively good documentation and a nice "community".
AmigaOS is so much sufficient for me that I don't switch on my iMac except when I have to use the webcam on Skype.
Play Solitaire Online Visit Site solitairechamp.net Play Free Klondike Classic Solitaire Card Games For more details.
kyakruu

Niubbo

Torna a Amiga OS 4.x